Cullen Creek Waikakaho Valley v2

Types of walkways

Gazetted walkways are those walking tracks established under the Walking Access Act 2008 and the New Zealand Walkways Act 1990 and declared as walkways in the Government’s official newspaper, the New Zealand Gazette.

Walkways under these Acts may be over public land or private land. In the case of private land, access is secured by creating easements that require the landholder’s agreement.

Many other walking tracks around New Zealand provide opportunities for people to access the outdoors. While some of these tracks may be termed walkways, only those formally established and gazetted under the Walking Access Act 2008 or the New Zealand Walkways Act 1990 have the legal status that the legislation provides. This includes statutory protection of walkers’ rights to use the walkways and specification of those actions that are offences under the Walking Access Act 2008.

Walkways are generally not affected by changes in the ownership of private land.

Where are they?

Walkways are located in many parts of New Zealand. A list of these walkways, locations, and controlling authorities can be found on the Herenga ā Nuku website.

Additional detailed information may be on the websites of the relevant controlling authority. The controlling authority is the public body responsible for the walkway’s day-to-day management. The Department of Conservation manages most walkways.

New Zealand Walkways

Gazetted walkways can be found across New Zealand. Well-known examples include the Huka Falls to Aratiatia Rapids Walkway near Taupo, Makara Walkway near Wellington, Cable Bay Walkway near Nelson and Tunnel Beach Walkway near Dunedin.

Many older walkways carry a New Zealand Walkways logo or the New Zealand Walking Access Commission logo, while those created more recently have the Herenga ā Nuku logo.

How can I identify them?

Walkways are signposted with the track name and any special conditions that apply. The signage may include the Herenga ā Nuku logo or the old walkways logo.

Those managed by the Department of Conservation are described on its website and will have Department of Conservation signage.