- Unformed Legal Roads
- Types of legal public access
- Overseas Investment Act
- Walking on Crown-owned land
- Cyclists and mountain bikers
- Resolving disputes over access
- The Country and Outdoor Recreation Calendar
- Walking over private land to get to public land
- Can a landholder stop me using an unformed legal road?
- Forms of legal access across private land
- Motor vehicle on walking tracks
- Types of walkways
- Bikes, dogs and horses on walkways
- Greenways, property developers and the use of incentives
- What a wellbeing framework means for access to the outdoors
- Landholders can refuse the right to walk over land
- Downloadable GPX files make accessing hidden spots easier
- Shared pathways
- The Outdoor Access Code
- Asking nicely
- Carrying a gun
- Horse riding responsibly
- Mountain biking responsibly
- Caring for the environment
- Being responsible with fire in the outdoors
- Four-wheel driving responsibly
- Kauri dieback, myrtle rust and more
- Mycoplasma Bovis - information for people crossing farms
- Health and safety
- Māori land
- Funding and awards
- Rivers, lakes and coast
Choose from 600+ tracks and trails across Aotearoa New Zealand.
We're telling stories about people who create, care for and treasure tracks and trails in Aotearoa. Listen and subscribe today!
View our maps to find legal public access, hunting and fishing spots and property information.
Outdoor Access Champion Nomination Form
The Outdoor Access Champion awards recognise people and organisations who have made significant and lasting contributions to public access to the outdoors in New Zealand, whether through securing new legal access, championing public rights of access, trail building, or contributing to an understanding of access rights and responsibilities.
These awards are New Zealand’s way of saying thanks to some of the wonderful people who have helped open up the great outdoors to the public.
We encourage people to think about their local champions — both individuals and groups — and put forward a nomination for consideration.
Nominations close at 8am on Monday, 21 November 2022.
Page last updated: Aug 15, 2022, 10:55 AM