- Unformed Legal Roads
- Types of legal public access
- Overseas Investment Act
- Walking on Crown-owned land
- Cyclists and mountain bikers
- Resolving disputes over access
- The Country and Outdoor Recreation Calendar
- Walking over private land to get to public land
- Can a landholder stop me using an unformed legal road?
- Forms of legal access across private land
- Motor vehicle on walking tracks
- Types of walkways
- Bikes, dogs and horses on walkways
- Greenways, property developers and the use of incentives
- What a wellbeing framework means for access to the outdoors
- Landholders can refuse the right to walk over land
- Downloadable GPX files make accessing hidden spots easier
- Shared pathways
- The Outdoor Access Code
- Asking nicely
- Carrying a gun
- Horse riding responsibly
- Mountain biking responsibly
- Caring for the environment
- Being responsible with fire in the outdoors
- Four-wheel driving responsibly
- Kauri dieback, myrtle rust and more
- Mycoplasma Bovis - information for people crossing farms
- Health and safety
- Māori land
- Funding and awards
- Rivers, lakes and coast
Contact an advisor to investigate or negotiate public outdoor access.
Get the app to take our maps with you just about anywhere.
Current vacancies at Herenga ā Nuku.
Outdoor Access Champion Awards
The Outdoor Access Champion awards recognise those who have made significant and lasting contributions to public access to the outdoors in New Zealand, whether through securing new legal access, championing public rights of access, trail building, or contributing to an understanding of access rights and responsibilities.
These awards are New Zealand’s way of saying thanks to some of the wonderful people who have helped open up the great outdoors to the public.
We encourage people to think about their local champions — both individuals and groups — and put forward a nomination for consideration. Nominations for the 2023 awards close on 21 November 2022. Our board will select and announce the successful nominees in December 2022, and we will present the awards in 2023.
The awards were inaugurated in 2013.
Page last updated: Nov 22, 2022, 12:45 PM