- Unformed Legal Roads
- Types of legal public access
- Overseas Investment Act
- Walking on Crown-owned land
- Cyclists and mountain bikers
- Resolving disputes over access
- The Country and Outdoor Recreation Calendar
- Walking over private land to get to public land
- Can a landholder stop me using an unformed legal road?
- Forms of legal access across private land
- Motor vehicle on walking tracks
- Types of walkways
- Bikes, dogs and horses on walkways
- Greenways, property developers and the use of incentives
- What a wellbeing framework means for access to the outdoors
- Landholders can refuse the right to walk over land
- Downloadable GPX files make accessing hidden spots easier
- Shared pathways
- The Outdoor Access Code
- Asking nicely
- Carrying a gun
- Horse riding responsibly
- Mountain biking responsibly
- Caring for the environment
- Being responsible with fire in the outdoors
- Four-wheel driving responsibly
- Kauri dieback, myrtle rust and more
- Mycoplasma Bovis - information for people crossing farms
- Health and safety
- Māori land
- Funding and awards
- Rivers, lakes and coast
Contact an advisor to investigate or negotiate public outdoor access.
Get the app to take our maps with you just about anywhere.
Current vacancies at Herenga ā Nuku.
Forms of legal access across private land
There is no general right of public access across private land. Owners of private land have the right to exclusive occupation and enjoyment of that land. This right is enforceable under the provisions of the Trespass Act 1980.
Particular rights of access across private land can be provided by:
- easements over private land forming part of Walkways under the Walking Access Act 2008
- other easements or rights of way providing for public access
- esplanade strips, and
- access strips.
Landholders may provide access over private land by agreement. This could include informal or formal arrangements with individuals or groups or a sign inviting the public to use a track or route across the land.
Page last updated: Jul 27, 2022, 10:03 AM